Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Sketchbook Project

This week's word for Illustration Friday is "ocean." Here are a few sample pages from my "Sketchbook Project" sketchbook that I'm working on.


I've been scrambling to finish up the final pages of this year's "Sketchbook Project" sketchbook! 
I ordered the blank book in the summer, but didn't really get started until the end of November in earnest. The deadline for mailing is January 15th, and it's approaching rapidly. I will be finishing it up this weekend---I've got to do the cover and finish a couple of pages, but it'll get done. This year I combined a bunch of my block print  images with drawings featuring a young girl and her outdoor activities. I didn't like how wrinkly the pages became last year when I added watercolor to the drawings, so this year I tried pastel and colored pencil. I printed all the blocks with black ink, trying to find a sequence that would become part of the narrative. I think it worked out OK. When it's all done I'll post the pages, and hopefully some of you can see it in person when the traveling library goes on tour.


1 comment:

  1. What beuatiful sketches Jane..your book must be a joy to see. I love those sea shells, great to see some summer images at this time of the year,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete