Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Monoprint line technique

My Drawing 3 and Portfolio Prep classes are creating monoprint images in class this week. They had been working on reduction monoprints first, which is a technique where ink is wiped off the plate to create areas of positive and negative values, and textures.

This week we will be trying Line Monoprints. I have made an example to demonstrate the process.

First, roll ink onto a plastic plate with a brayer. I used masking tape to first make a border, and then peeled it off for clear precise edges. I used black Akua intaglio ink for this print.


Next I laid a sheet of Rives Light paper over the inked area, and taped it into place. I used a ball point pen to draw a rather detailed drawing of a dragonfly, that I had photographed last summer, onto the paper. 



After completing the drawing, I gently peeled it back to reveal the image underneath. The quality of line and shading is similar to a charcoal drawing. There is also a negative image left onto the inked plate which can be printed using a printing press and damp paper. 



positive  and negative

When the prints are dry, one can add watercolor wash, colored pencil, pastel pencil, or other mediums.

No comments:

Post a Comment