Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Finished a new print!



White Mountain Gorge, NH

I've been working on this print most of the summer! You can see by the finished plate below that there are a lot of different textures in this image. I've lost track of how many layers in all, but around seven or eight. Sometimes I had to print the same color multiple times to get it dark enough. This print was made using a "soft cut" block, which means I had to print all the layers by hand without using a printing press. The height and squishiness of the soft, flexible block makes it difficult to print with a press. If there is too much pressure on it, it can become distorted and stretched out.


Two more weeks of summer vacation before I have to go back to work. We are in the middle of 90 degree heat wave this week.  I'm trying to finish up loose ends before the new school year begins. I have signed up for a "print exchange" through the Sketchbook Project that is due by mid-September, as well as the Hopkinton Historical Society"s annual art show, which also has work due at that time. I'll put some photos up of my progress in a subsequent post. Stay cool!

2 comments:

  1. Such beautiful textures Jane. .Gorgeous print enjoy the last 2 weeks of freedom! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely gorgeous, Jane! I am in awe of your detail work..and so happy to be able to visit here today. It's been a long time, but I see you've been working on your beautiful craft, and that is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete