Sunday, November 22, 2015

New block print---Great blue Heron

I've been working on a new block print using a Gomuban relief plate. This plate is softer than a linoleum block and harder than Easy-cut. I have been using a printing press for this, and it prints great with the Akua inks. McClain's Printmaking Supplies sells it.

It's a little dark here, but I've cut out areas for the second layer.



                           Here's a close-up of the heron (above) and the original sketch (below)



This is the first color layer. The lines are from a Sharpee marker I used to cover over the pencil lines on the block before I started cutting. They fade away on subsequent prints, but remain dark enough to see on the plate.


Here's Wiley--my steady companion who wants to hang out and "help" whenever I'm working!

2 comments:

  1. Such a clever process Jane....it looks brilliant and the heron is a beauty.Wiley has grown so much...Billy sends a purr x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a clever process Jane....it looks brilliant and the heron is a beauty.Wiley has grown so much...Billy sends a purr x

    ReplyDelete