Friday, September 20, 2024

Rocks on North Hampton Beach

 Summer is officially over, and I'm working on a new print inspired by the many walks I've taken on North Hampton Beach this year. I loved seeing the cairns that people would build precariously on the rocks at the end of the beach.

The beginning stages of carving out the lightest areas.



One layer of ink on the rocks, then a blended sky. I used Akua inks, Arches paper and a Soft-Kut block.

 
Adding the water. (I used a stencil to separate the rocks from the sky)


Adding some texture to the water.


Adding a bit more value to the rocks, as well as a cooler tone to some areas.


As of today, this is the state of the block. Spent quite a few hours carving away the various textures on the rocks. The next and final inking will hopefully define the darkest shadows on all the rocks.

This block is 8" x 10" and will be a hand-printed edition of 12. I'm looking forward to posting the finished image very soon!

Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment