Friday, July 31, 2015

Lobster Print

I just posted my new "lobster" print on my Etsy shop. I'm really excited about a new block printing material that I used for this project. I used a Gomuban plate that I've learned is a regular staple in Japanese classrooms. It's much softer than linoleum, but firmer than Easy-cut. It carves beautifully and can be printed using a press. Most of my other prints are printed by hand using the Easy-cut blocks, but this material is definitely something that I'm going to explore. The thickness of the Gomuban is only about an 1/8 of an inch, with blue on one side and green on the other, with a black core. The Akua inks that I used for the lobster print went onto the block nice and thin. Using a template on the press as well as pins and tabs, gave me strong color and excellent registration.


Plate on left with 2 color print stage on right


Final stage, wrapped and ready to go!

I'm also in the middle of another printing project using an Easy-cut block of a rushing stream. My daughter took the photo, but she is not sure exactly where it was taken---somewhere north of Plymouth.  It's similar to another mountain stream piece I finished recently. The Easy-cut is handy when I'm working at home without a printing press.

Feeling like summer is flying by way to quickly! So many projects, so little time!

*McClain's Printmaking Supply Catalog carries the Gomuban plates, and will send a free sample if requested.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous print Jane and the process sound fun...and the new block sound a great idea. Enjoy your rushing stream and yes let's hope August does not rush by too quickly! x

    ReplyDelete