Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak Block Print

I spent the afternoon in the printmaking studio at NHIA, finishing up the Rose-Breasted Grosbeak print. The last layer of ink is black, so now the bird really pops out. I had printed a red layer first and found it hard to cover that bright hue. I ended up with layers of red, gray, blue-green, green, and black. I'm happy with the results, and glad to finish it as a Valentine's Day gift for my husband. Originally it was supposed to be for Christmas.

For my next project in class, I'm learning how to make a lithograph. I knew it was a lengthy process to get the stone prepared, but I didn't realize how much a physical process it is. I spent most of the class leaning over the graining sink, graining the stone with various carborundum grits to get the surface level and free of scratches. At next week's class I'm hoping to get to the drawing stage where I'll use lithographic pencils with a high grease content to build up tones. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment