Wednesday, August 21, 2013

California Vineyards

I just finished a new block print inspired by my trip to California last month. I'm excited to be mailing off prints this week to my friends who traveled with me. I'll post the process of making a multi-colored reduction block print so anyone stopping by can understand the various steps of this technique.

Here's the "easy-cut" block with the drawing on it. I usually outline everything with a black Sharpee marker first, so all the details stand out.

I also use a template to mark each layer so they will match up when I print the subsequent colors.

Here is the first color, printed by hand, on Rives Light paper using Akua inks. 


Layer 2 is a blend of two colors that make up the sky and some of the brown background. You can see the areas that are cut away so the first color shows through.


Layer 3--- green and gray


Layer 4---more green


Final Layer--the inked plate


The finished design---"Vineyard View"


Maybe I should open up that bottle of wine I brought back from California, to celebrate!









1 comment:

  1. This is just beautiful Jane, such a special memory of your trip. Your friends will be delighted, what lucky ladies they are x

    ReplyDelete