Monday, December 29, 2014

Ball Jar Print

Now that Christmas is over, and I have a vacation from work this week, I can get organized with some of the projects that were put on the back burner! Over the last several days I've been working on a print that I started earlier in the fall. I finished the last layer today and am happy to be able to show it off.

The Ball Jar

This is the final state of the plate. I used an Soft-Cut block with layers of gray, light green, light blue, dark blue, and black. The paper is Rives Lightweight White, and the inks are Akua intaglio inks. I like those because they do not dry out while printing, and they clean easily with Dawn dishwashing detergent. The prints do take a few days to dry especially with multiple layers. These materials work well for me because I do not need to use a printing press, and I can print at home. The image size  of this design is 51/2" x 71/4". I'd like to do a series of prints using glass jars as themes. It was very challenging to try and create the illusion of transparency, but I'm pleased with the way the edition came out.

The state of the print before the dark blue and black layers were printed.

Happy New Year!


  1. It came out beautifully Jane...great print. Happy new year and enjoy your time off x