I finished the new block print, that I had been working on for a while, of the White Mountain stream. I explored some new techniques, and am happy with the way it came out. Because the top and bottom halves of the image were very different in color schemes, I found that it worked better to print them separately. It kept the print from becoming too dense with ink layers.
Here is the plate after I completed and printed most of the rocky areas in the foreground of the image.
The upper part of the picture was mostly green tones, while the bottom was mostly grays and browns.
It wasn't too difficult to keep the top and bottom separate, as the rocks created a natural line between the two halves. For the final layer on the print, I was able to use a dark greenish-black ink, to tie the whole thing together.
There is a little sheen at the top of the photo, as the ink was still wet when I took the picture. I did have to print the top layer several times to get the dark value that I wanted. I used Akua inks, an 8" x 10" easy-cut block, and Rives Light paper for this project, and printed this edition by hand, without a press.
I am an art teacher who loves to draw and paint, as well as illustrate for children. I also enjoy printmaking---especially block prints. Whatever I do as an artist, I have to remind myself---no pressure---it all starts by just putting pencil to paper.