Sunday, March 4, 2018

Mermaid Print

I've been working on a Mermaid print for a while, and the final layer of ink has been printed. I did an edition of twelve full-color images, a few variations, and a black and white series, upon which I will be adding watercolor paints. Below is the finished full-color version.

Mermaid Dreams (6" x 14")

I also played around this past week with some monoprints. I had a week off from school for February Vacation, that allowed me to experiment with some different ideas and materials. 


The lighting is not the best but you can see the Gelli plate in the center, and a few variations, as well as some stencils that I cut out to make designs. I used Golden Open brand acrylic paints as they are made to be slow drying, and usable for monoprinting.

Here is one variation created with the Golden Open paints. I'm not entirely pleased with any of these prints, but they are fun to work with. This experiment led me to try making individual printing strips that I carved to look like birch trees. Below are the tree trunks made from soft-cut blocks. They are easily cut apart with an X-acto knife. I used black Akua ink for this print.

                   I used a light weight rice paper and a wooden spoon to print my design.
3 Birches (7" x 12")

I like the graphic look of the print, but I plan on doing more experimenting with the image.

It is March, and the yard is almost free of snow. The blue jays, cardinals, titmice, gold finches, sparrows, crows, nuthatches, and woodpeckers are enjoying the seeds we have been putting out all winter. Of course the squirrels are finding their fair share. The days are lighter longer, but it is still technically winter, and there will probably be a few more snowstorms before it gives up!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful creations! Plus, it's always fun to see another creative's work space and works in progress. Keep at it!