Monday, January 23, 2023

Stony Beach Block Print

I've been working on a new reduction block print this month, of a winter beach in Well's Maine. I've come back to this same subject, one that I previously used in other print. That one focused more on the sky and water than this one, which focuses on the rocks. I'm drawn to the colors of winter landscapes. There are so many grays and other neutral tones, which really appeal to me. This color palette works well for a reduction block, as the colors layer well. I like the texture of the rocky shore with all the different shapes and hues. 


The original Soft-Kut block outlined with a black Sharpie


I used a pale yellow ochre for the first layer


After the yellow layer, I carved away all the areas that will remain that color


This image shows a light gray layer printed over the yellow one 


Carving away more rocks





This is the stage that I am at now. I went back over the sky and water to add a little more blue to those areas of the print. I have several more color layers to print before this image will be finished.

As I type this, we are in the middle of a snowstorm. Probably about 8 inches or more. It's very pretty, but I'll need to be heading out later for the second round of clean up! 















No comments:

Post a Comment