Monday, October 11, 2021

The finished print

I finally finished the final layer on my "Cascade Falls" print. It takes so long to complete these highly detailed prints, as I have to hand print each of the 16 prints for each color layer. I think this print has about 8 different color values in it, so that's 128 individual pieces of paper that must be rubbed with a baren and wooden spoon. A printing press produces a quicker, more even print, but I like the ability to control the pressure on individual areas of the block. 

I use Akua Intaglio inks for most of my prints. They are made with soy oil, and can be cleaned easily with soap and water. I use diluted Dawn detergent for cleaning, as it cuts the greasiness of the inks. 

The prints take time to dry thoroughly, so I leave them hanging for a week or more, then I stack them in my print drawers with paper in between each sheet. The more layers, the longer it takes for drying.

A close up of the block near the end of carving

The last layer on this print is a mixture of Mars Black and Burnt Umber. 


I'll be posting this print in my Etsy shop, JGTentas when it's dry enough to package up.

Have a great week!!



No comments:

Post a Comment